Wednesday 20 March 2013

Holiday + Red Currant Pie



I just came to Finland for two weeks holiday until Easter. Waiting for me was the pie that my Mother knows I always want to eat when I come home. The recipe is my own but as in Italy the berries are not as good as they are here in the north, I usually enjoy this only when I visit my parents.
Because the pie was made beforehand, I don't have the pictures about the preparation but it's quite easy.  The recipe follows and you can see the delicious result in these pics :)

RED CURRANT PIE

Base:

100 g butter
200 g sugar (1,5 dl)
1 egg
250 ml white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar

Filling:

250 g red currants
250 g quark or very thick greek yoghurt
50 ml milk
35 g sugar (0,5 dl)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar

Preheat the oven to 200 C. Grease a round pie tin and cover with flour.

For the base beat sugar and butter to a thick foam and add an egg. Mix together flour, baking powder and vanilla sugar, add them in the mixture. Make a ball of the dough and extend it with your hands on the pie tin (you can also use a rolling pin if you prefer). Important is that you extend the dough enough to reach the borders.

Prepare the filling by beating together eggs with sugar, add the milk, vanilla sugar and quark / yoghurt. Place the red currants onto the base and pour the filling on the berries.

Bake the pie in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Let it cool. You can serve this pie a room temperature but I suggest to taste it also cold from the fridge (it actually tastes even better the next day).




No comments:

Post a Comment